Thursday 3 September 2009

I'm back!

It seems my first attempt at blogging was deemed to the same fate as my first failed attempt at diary writing back in 1994. Subsequent years saw pages full of my ramblings so perhaps the same will happen here? No promises, lets wait and see shall we...

So what have I been up to this past year? Well its possibly been the best year of the last decade for me, which is easy since the millennium started with and all time low and my poor little life has been gradually recovering since. I think a summery of the most important bits would be best, or this post will send both you and I to sleep :)

Nursing

After 3 months of lectures and preparations at uni, I was let loose on children's ACAD ward at Queens hospital. Here I am trying on my uniform for the first time :) It had its highs and lows but on the whole I had a fantastic time. I felt so humbled that even as a student, parents trusted me with their children's welfare. Yes it was emotionally demanding caring for sick children, but that was overwhelmed by the privilege of looking after children and their families at perhaps one of the hardest times of their lives. This was particularly true on oncology day (children with cancer) I was both moved and amazed by some of the patients and their families that I met. The staff were great too, they treated me like one of them (which I hear is unusual for students). I was really encouraged by their feedback and support throughout the placement.

My other placement was at a Special School looking after children with severe learning disabilities. Very different from working in the clinical area, but again a fantastic experience. Really missed the staff and kids when I left.

Passed all exams with more or less flying colours, and just like that my first year is over! Will miss some of my uni buddies when get split up round different campuses this year :(

Friendship

Back in Hornchuch in 2001, a pregnant me moved in next door to a lovely young lady called Emma (top in picture) We soon became the best of friends, like we had known each other all our lives. Partners in crime, we painted the town red on our nights off from being mums. We spent lazy summer days sunbathing, leading into late nights eating BBQ food and drinking wine. She was there when I hit rock bottom again with yet another family death in the house, and was with me when I gave birth to Oliver. When my ex got us into so much debt, we had to sell up. I thought it wouldn't change our friendship. At first it didn't, but eventually we talked less and less. To this day I am not so sure what actually stopped us talking. I think the longer time went on, it became more and more awkward to just pick up the phone as we used to be so close. A good year or so passed, although I missed Emma, I just accepted we had grown apart.

The relevance of me writing this here, is that we bumped into each other last year Christmas shopping. It was a little awkward at first, but we gradually re found our friendship. In someways is stronger now than it ever was. Talking of neighbours, I have found another close friend in Lianne (To the right in picture) who is my present next door neighbour. Bubbly, funny, and fantastic company. I feel a certain TV theme song coming on...

Lisa (Pictured bottom) remains my sister I never had. Rock solid, unselfish, and always there. To me she's an angel, Lisa is the girl to go to with a moral dilemma. She is such a nice girl, I have never met anybody so kind. A woman with guts too, she would do anything for someone she loves.

Catherine is Catherine (pictured left). There just is no other way to describe her uniqueness. A Bundle of fun, life, and passion in a half pint package. Sometimes too passionate, Cat is full of emotion. As much as I love her I must confess her turmoils can be wearing, mainly because I feel powerless to help her when I desperately want to. I'm sure she would mind me saying that, its no criticism. You gotta love Cat :)

Although I have other friends, these 4 have been the most prominent in my life this year. The experiences we have shared this year mean so much to me.

Wedding

I got married! June 20th 2009 1pm, I actually made it up the aisle. The relevance in this statement is that it was actually the 3rd time I had been engaged, earning a bit of a reputation as the 'Run Away Bride' I made practically everything from the bouquets, to invitations. It was an incredibly stressful couple of months, but everything looked amazing when it came together on the day. More about that some other time perhaps as this post has gone on somewhat!



So here I am now, about to start my second year of nursing. After a long lazy summer, I'm ready to go back. In fact I cant wait! I'm missing being just me, which is perhaps what has made this year so perfect. I think I lost myself a bit, easily done when your a mother. Before I had children I used to have time to ponder, reflect, and take things in. Now for the first time since they were born I have that time, and its very precious to me, almost as precious as them.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through another blog. Come to discover that your wedding day was on my birthday! :) Congrats!