Thursday 24 September 2009


Jessica is my gorgeous daughter, she's 7. She fascinates me. I love playing with her hair, and i love it when she plays with mine back. She still sucks her thumb, I think she always will secretly. She loves dancing and music, and she is very very artistic. She is always writing me letters, and drawing me pictures to tell me how she thinks I am the best mum in the world. She is adventurous, and gutsy. She loves being a beaver scout, and has driven a 4x4. She can strop for England, and can be very volatile. But I wouldn't change that for the world, her passion and expression is something i treasure. She is inspiring.

As much as I love training to be a nurse, I also miss my children. Its a struggle juggling family life with working and studying. But I must have done something right because they tell everyone how proud they are of their mum. They don't complain about me going off all day, they go to the childminders with a smile and a wave. I'm welcomed home with huge cuddles, and kisses. We all sit and do our homework together.

I am so blessed...

More about my week tomorrow
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Vikki Pink said...

Your daughter is very beautiful! :)

I sucked my thumb until I was about six. I had to get this orthodontic thing to stop me from sucking. It was really hard I remember many sleepless nights! But it was worth it because my teeth are better now, my parents got me braces. Hopefully her teeth aren't as bad as mine were! I had a major overbite. Anyway once you're a nurse you will get crazy benefits for yourself and your family so if she wants to or you think its in her best interest, you can go for it!

Thats cute that they're so supportive :). I don't have kids or particularly want them but if I did I would hope they would be like yours!


Oh and out of curiosity...do they make you write lots of essays in your nursing program?

Julianne said...

Hi Vikki, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey into nursing!

Thanks for the sweet comments about the children. Jessica tries really hard to stop, and has got a lot better recently. The dentist isn't overly concerned as she hasn't got any adult teeth yet. See the cute gappy smile? at the moment her thumb sits nicely in the hole at the front! Will just have to wait and see, supporting her through it.

As for my course, over in England we do 3 years initial training. The first year is a general year, and the last two years we focus on our chosen branch - Adult/Child/Mental Health. I did about 5 essays last year, some exams, and 2 OSCE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective_structured_clinical_examination

How's about you, do you know what to expect this year?

Vikki Pink said...

For ours...its a 4 year. We do clinical placements every year. First year its 88 hours required, and then it increases with the year, fourth year being mainly clinical with a little bit of practical, just to keep up with everything and practice. First year I've heard is the most brutal because there are a lot of things, like essays and lots LOTS of theory that we can't avoid...and I've heard its because they are trying to weed out those who are weakest among us. And that second year and on it gets so much better! I already really like it..I just can't wait for it to get better!

As for proximal/Distal and all that junk, I just don't know when to use what. Like if you're doing heart and stomach. Would you do heart is superior to stomach or would you say the stomach is distal to the heart? Like I just don't know when to differentiate!

I can't wait to start clinical though. However I'm nervous about washing someone's perineal area for the first time. Just now I don't know whats going on exactly because of the H1N1 vaccine no one is allowed to get their flu shot until the H1N1 comes out, which is November and our clinical starts October...so I am thinking people in the health field might be able to get the flu shot regardless, since I will be dealing with the elderly?