Tuesday 15 September 2009

I am a second year nursing student!



Before I blog away about the past couple of days, It has occurred to me that I haven't actually explained what's going on! The change over to child branch from foundation has required me to change university campus. I will now need to travel into London to the university's main campus at Southwark, and will be joining the existing students up there along with 2 of my friends from Havering and a handful of others.

I rarely use public transport because my house is somewhere that local councils forgot! They refuse to believe that anybody living here might need to travel into London. This is annoying extremely tricky. With very limited experience in the ways of traveling in London I felt quite unearved about the whole thing as I'm sure you gathered by the previous post.

So how did it all go? Well the journey there could have been done with my eyes shut. Ok I have to admit to getting a bit confused about the whole oyster card thing, I touched every pad I saw just in case I needed to. Despite costing me about £7.50, I made it there....1 and a half hours early! lol


With time to kill and nerves to calm, I sat myself down in a cafe to eat toast and drink tea. The medicinal effect of these was immense, and the waitresses smile on walking past my table showed she noticed this too. Ideally I could have sat there drinking tea and eating toast all day, but soon enough I had to venture off to uni.

And so my second year began in a very uncomfortable lecture hall, with the very lady who enrolled me last year and got me onto the Children's nursing course. Despite her being amazingly interesting and helpful along with the other lecturers, I have to admit the first few days have dragged a bit dealing with tedious but essential formality's. But there has been a few highlights. We discovered the student union bar, which serves a really nice cuppa. Even more impressive was the mugs it was served in, pictured below...


The other highlights/lowlights are as follows:

- Getting a drug calculations test, and opening it to discover they had mistakenly printed the answers into it lol

- Being sung to by a random man who wanted to sell me his CD. He looked straight into my eyes and sung, I went to jelly (No I wasn't attracted to him but his voice churned up my insides).

- Sitting next to a man on the who was talking to himself loudly in polish and scribbling things down in his note book. Why? Tried not to make assumptions (which Is a bad thing when your a nurse) but I wondered about him. Have to admit I also flinched when he got up just in case he had mental health problems.

- Being called second year students, sounds so much better than first years.

- Having lots of lovely time by myself walking, and sitting on the trains watching the world whiz by. I love company, but also really love just being on my own with my own thoughts. Its actually been great just listing to my favourite music and contemplating the world and its men.

And that's about it, or all I can manage in my exhausted state of mind. :)




-





No comments: