Monday 21 September 2009

Study skills

Felt the need for a happy post tonight. Also felt the need to assure you that I am OK, and feeling very positive about life. This week starts a two week unit at uni on child development. I am in at 9am everyday, which means I gotta get up at 6am. This I am not at all pleased about. I am not a morning person. I often find it hard to sleep of a night time, but mornings I have no trouble at all.

But on the bright side we are finally getting down to some proper learning. Its a subject I'm fascinated with. I love getting my teeth stuck into something I know I can get a lot from! We will be doing an 2000 word essay based on a real patient from our next placement. I think after all that reading of old diary's I would love to focus mine on an adolescent. This is a first for me as my first reaction would always be to pick a young child to study, as its in my comfort zone. I fancy a challenge :)

And so Its back to studying hard, and getting my nose stuck in a load of text books (Something I secretly enjoy) If you have read my first few blog posts you will remember my office under the stairs. Well this evolved as I got cabin fever as well as too many books and nursing magazines. My husband (still can't get used to calling him that) came to the rescue again. One Saturday in the spring I went out for the day, and came back to find he had converted half of our shed into an office. This new improved study area is complete with electric, lighting, heating, a massive desk, and space for my ever growing book collection and more.


When I came home he showed me proudly and said "I've even put your two Robbie's down here to keep you company." This was referring too the photo of him (I call him Robbie) and a signed photo of Robbie Keane playing for Spurs. He had found tucked under my bed... thought that little crush was my best kept secret! It was sweet though, especially since Rob supports West Ham.

So what do I think are good study skills? I guess the most important thing is to work out what is best for you. Being quite a creative person, my study style is a bit unusual. I like different coloured pens, and draw out a lot of stuff to illustrate it in my mind. I make up songs with key facts (I am one of these people who pick up lyrics really quickly, unfortunately I can't sing so this is the best way to put to use this skill) I turn complicated facts into silly things in my head. I act what I have learnt out in my head. For instance, my last exam on basic life support was revised by imagining situations in which I would save the day. This also appeals to my love of daydreaming. At the exam I just acted out the dream, and little Lucy lived :)

Another important tip is to stay awake during lectures. And on that note I am going to get myself tucked up in bed for a good dream, another early start for me.















No comments: